I am (slowing) getting ready to finish up my 2014 album and have started organising and sorting the first 3 weeks of my 2015 album. As I sort through it all I’ve had to really reflect and think about what things I’ve learnt from my first year of Project Life, and how I can improve this next year. I though I would share some of things I’ve realised about myself and how I want to use Project Life this year.
I like Telling Stories:
- It’s true, looking back on my 2014 album, I love to READ the stories, not just look at the photos. I am a story teller (maybe not a very good one, but I like to tell them anyway…), it’s why I blog and write things, and why I scrapbook. I still appreciate the photos, but if there are no stories to tell then it sort of lacks something. I noticed that when I got really behind (like over 4 months behind) that those layouts have photos in them, but I forgot the details, the funny little reasons why I put those photos in, so now I’m inspired to stay up to date with my Project Life this year so that I CAN record those memories.
I like Good Photos
- As much as I like stories, I like good photos! The truth is that some weeks I take quite a few really nice photos, and I don’t want to cull those photos just because I don’t have room! I do not do any other scrapbooking, so if a photo doesn’t make it into my Project Life, chances are it won’t be looked at much again. I don’t do heaps of mini albums (maybe in 2016 I could look at that?), so it looks like my Project Life album(s!) will be… BIG! Which leads me too…
I am Over The Top – Deal With It
- I fantasise about beautiful simple layouts with lots of white space and colour co-ordinated photos, but lets take a reality check – that’s not me. It appeals to me from and art and design point of view, but not from a memory keeping point of view. My Project Life is about recording my family’s adventures, so I will leave the really beautiful simple design principles for other art projects.
- Also, If I’m going to be including lots of stories AND lots of photos, I’m just going to have to accept that most weeks will include extra pages and inserts. I am over the top – deal with it. Which leads me to…
I like Inserts
- I actually really like inserts. This is a bit scrapbook-geek of me, but when I open a scrapbook and I get to flip through all these little bits that aren’t even in size, or ordered and are just a bit delicate, oh how it excites me!! (too much information?! Sorry!!). I love to include inserts and this year I plan on adding MORE of them! And all different sizes! Yay! Yay! Yay! It is actually quite liberating to just admit that I love this and that I’m going to do more of it. Ha!